Thursday, February 18, 2010

Well, after reading my first, and last post, I understand why I never continued. I guess my true blogging spirit had yet to be developed, and in a desperate attempt to introduce my two lovely children to those loved ones across state lines and beyond, I recounted the most uninspired tidbits... all at once.
I hope no one ever read that. Except I noticed there were 14 stops to this site in the three years of its existence, so I guess someone did. I guess it could be worse.

I've decided to make another attempt at this blogging business because Uma's turned four, and is suddenly no longer a baby (how can this possibly be?) in any recognizable way, except perhaps for the occasional complete freak-out over something teeny-tiny (small to the eyes of the observer, that is, NOT Uma).
Where has the time gone? How can I possibly have let the details of them slip away for all these years? Xochi is five! She's five. She's five...
It's this time of complete ambivalence. They are easier to be around than ever. They like to do the things I like to do. They [sometimes] help with chores or clean up after themselves. They are ever more capable and require less of me. Those really hard moments, like trying to get everyone bundled up in under an hour just to step outside for mere minutes or trying to calm a screaming toddler in front of a group of gawkers are less and less frequent all the time... and yet, I lament that they are no longer babies. I'd give anything now to be able to stuff somebody in a wrap and wear them around the house all day. I don't know exactly what makes it so scary, or sad, or quite honestly UNBEARABLE to see them grow, but I am thankful for this misery nevertheless. It is like a slap in the face--a big old "Pay attention, before it's all gone!"
And still, I remember that this is what it is all about-- it's about the individuals they will become, and the choices they will make. It's about who they really are.

No comments: